Dec 2, 2009

Dr. Richard Davis

Photo for Dec 2 2009

Not sure why Dr. Davis was on my mind today, but I figured since he was, he should be a part of my photo for the day


The photo in the photo above was taken at my University graduation in May.
{I have a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy & Religious Studies}

A large majority of my classes were with Dr. Davis. By nature I am not a philosophically minded person. In truth, I am a lazy thinker. However, I do believe that being able to reason well is foundational to uncovering the truth about life. Dr. Davis helped to teach me that.

Furthermore, he taught me that there are many other awe-inspiring faucets of philosophy - especially metaphysics (the study of things that are not physical. Ex. time, or souls) & my favorite, epistemology (the study of HOW we know).

I am not a philosophically minded person - & these topics were daunting for me, & extremely challenging. I was scared of being fascinated by it in class & soaking in all the information, but not being able to think about the topics independently.

However, Dr. Davis taught these topics in a detailed, careful & exciting way that made me understand, & want to engage with the ideas more. Most importantly he taught how as a Christian these topics were important & can help draw us closer to the God we serve.

While my essays & exams probably were not the best written, it meant (& still means a tremendous amount to me) when Dr. Davis told me he was proud of me at my graduation (while he was 'hooding' me). This non-philosophically minded person was able to do it.

While I have let a lot of the things I learned fall into some far back corner of my mind since I've left school and re-joined the regular working world. I am in love with philosophy because of Dr. Davis, & I look forward to the day when I can draw all the wonderful things I learned back to mind & read through all those textbooks again. I'm sure I'll spend that day thinking of Dr. Davis again, & missing his classes.


Do you have someone in your life who helped teach & inspire you?

No comments:

Post a Comment