Nov 18, 2010

The Midwife Experience - Part 4

Nov 18 - 20 weeks (apparently*)

Yesterday I had another appointment with Stacey. She was a little late, which was fine, I was her first appointment of the day anyway. But I'm guessing she had a rough night with her little one because she had some mean bags under her eyes.

She was still as courteous as always though, & I love spending time with the receptionist, Lori, who is a retired nurse. :)

We didn't actually meet for very long. The appointments are booked for an hour, but that hour is supposed to be filled with my questions & her answers.

This week I had no questions. I've come to be really comfortable with the decisions Mat & I have made regarding labour & birth. Actually at this point I realize I am extremely excited about labour, even with the pain of rushes. {The only questions I do have lie in the realm of breastfeeding, but I want to hold off on those questions until I am done reading the many many books I've got on the topic.}

So she simply took my blood pressure, (which is pretty low, but better than being high), she got me to pee on the protein stick, weighed me (a grand total of 5 pounds gained thus far!) then lovingly woke my baby from her/his nap by measuring & feeling around for the dimensions of my uterus & listening to his/her heartbeat. {The baby had been perfectly still the whole morning, a few prods from Stacey & the little Roo was doing acrobatics in there!}

But that was it. Short & sweet. My next appointment, we agreed it would be valuable for me to meet my backup midwife, Christy, & meet with her at least twice. I'm excited for that. I've read Christy's bio & it seems like we have a lot in common.

* * *

*So the whole dating thing of pregnancy has really been messing with my head. Stacey finally set me straight {sort of}, having me count back from the EDD and seeing if it lined up with the first day of my last period {which it did} I then counted all the weeks in between & set myself straight.

I still think its really weird to count 40 weeks from the first day of the last period, when for at least two weeks, there was no baby there, but anyway...apparently I've been off on my dates. Somehow I jumped from 18 weeks to 20.

That's fine by me though, that means this baby is halfway cooked! :)

* * *

ps - Today is baby's first picture day (ie: ultrasound) :D

No comments:

Post a Comment