Mar 31, 2011

Last day of March!

38 weeks (& 4 days)

Those extra 'days' really matter to me now.

By way of an update, I had an appointment with my midwife, Christy, today. The round ball hanging off me is now measuring a nice 2 inches bigger than a week ago. So no reasons to be concerned, Squeaker is growing! She/he has to be, because I haven't gained a pound at all, but the belly is bigger! I have stopped at a pleasant 30lbs more than where I started. This is also awesome because I've noticed I've been swelling in the feet and legs a lot, but its not reading on the scales, so I'm losing weight somewhere, while gaining it elsewhere!

All in all, Christy guessed that Squeaker will be 'smaller', meaning somewhere in the neighbourhood for 6-7 lbs. Other than that, Squeaker has a great heart rate and is head down ready to go!

I love watching the delight in the faces of the midwives when they feel that little foot on my left side, or see Squeakers butt suddenly stick way out. I imagine that's how I look all the time, its just nice to see it in another woman's face...especially the woman who will be the first one to touch this little babe.

On another note, we discussed natural induction methods a today. I am VERY much not wanting to go to the hospital, and it seems that every day after that 40 week mark there is just a little bit more potential for that to happen. As of now, I am pretty much trying all I can do to get this body of mine ready for labour...but I am now at the point where the fear of a hospital birth is pushing me to consider other options...

The first of which is 'stretch and sweep" (I'll spare the details of what that is exactly for those male readers who may exist out there) Christy informed me that it might take at least three attempts at this to actually get labour started depending on where my body is already at in its own prep for labour. I figured starting at 39 weeks would be good in case I have to go through it more than once. So far I haven't discovered any ill effects of this induction method, other than the potential for breaking the water.

The second thing is massage, I'm already going to get some foot massages and acupressure massages from my mom (who does AWESOME at massage since she studied it) and then if still nothing by 40 weeks, I'm going to have our landlord, and registered massage therapist do some work on me. The only reason I'm not pursuing this option right now is because of $$.

The only thing I WON'T do is the spicy food. I have heartburn bad enough as it is!

Anyway, that's all I have to report today...tomorrow is April! The big month we've been waiting for! (March, in like a lamb...out like a big fat jerk...it snowed today)

* * *

I hope you are all enjoying the new 'series' of posts I'm doing on Greener, Healthier Living and that you will find the new little series on Doula Care interesting too.


No comments:

Post a Comment