Please Note: I can't pretend to assume I know how all doula's serve their clients, I can only tell you our experience with the care we've received from Sarah.
I'd like to share the specifics of that care we've received from a few different perspectives, the first two being prenatal care, and postpartum care. The second two being from Mat's viewpoint as a husband and father and mine as a woman and mother.
Since we have yet to arrive at the postpartum part of our journey - we'll have to start with out prenatal doula care & I'll start with Mat's perspective on the whole thing. When I asked him how he thought our doula care had benefited him at this point, he answered:
- It was comforting knowing that you (me, Naomi) were being taken care of, that you had someone you could go to with your questions or problems other than your midwives (who are not available 24/7 the way Sarah is, unless there is an emergency)
-It was also helpful sitting in on the 'sessions' (a labour prep session and a breast-feeding session) and getting privately taught in our own home. Having the knowledge of someone right at our fingertips who has learned all the techniques and kept with up-to-date information and even new practices who then customized the lessons for us and our lifestyle was great. Also,it was good being able to ask questions freely and always getting a clear concise answer.
* * *
For me (Naomi), reflecting on how I think our prenatal doula care has been helpful for Mat is how it had made him see and feel like he is a vital part of this whole pregnancy. So often I see or hear about father's who are cast to the side, but our doula care has proved that Mat needs to be just as prepared (though in a different way) for labour, birth and even breast-feeding. (Think about it, Mat will be my #1 support during labour and my only support at 3am when the baby isn't latching well and feeding isn't working)
* * *
Please wait for Part Three on how prenatal Doula Care has been for me as a woman and mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment