For a change of pace I'd like to highlight just a few products we don't bother to make on our own but we buy them & I'd like to rate their effectiveness for you.
And since the weather is getting warmer what better place to start then your armpits!
Deodorants & Antiperspirants:
Over a year ago I learned that the antiperspirant I was using contained aluminum which can be linked to breast cancer & even Alzheimer's. Though the debate still rages on with the conclusively of these links, I wasn't about to take any risks with my own health. (If you were suspicious that someone had spit in your soup, would you eat it anyway?)
With Mat on board for switching, I began a month of testing out different pit sticks, right at the peak of summertime in the 35+ humidity. Thank goodness it didn't take me long to find the one that worked best!
Aluminum Free Deodorants
I started with Tom's of Maine. I didn't have the best of luck with them. They were great on days when I wasn't really out moving around but even just short walks I didn't find it would hold up so well. However, in the wintertime Tom's of Maine has worked fabulous.
Mat never used Tom's of Maine, which was probably for the better since he was doing a lot of yard work & gardening & I don't think it would have held up for him.
My next product test was a deodorant crystal from Bulk Barn. Nothing more than a simple salt crystal...Mat was the first to use it & with all his time outside, labouring in the hot sun, he loved it. Even on the hottest of hot days he would come in stink free!
I started using it after his success & have never turned back. It has never failed me once. And only on the rarest of occasions has Mat said he's had to 're-apply'.
Note: In case you aren't aware, there is a difference between deodorants & antiperspirants. Antiperspirants make you stop sweating, & these contain aluminum. Deodorants, don't stop you from sweating, they only make the sweat smell stop. Some deodorants may not contain aluminum though they do have other health hazardous ingredients.
Tom's of Maine & the deodorant crystal will not stop you from sweating. Sweating is the way by which your body naturally cools itself off. Personally I have found the deodorant crystal HAS been effective for the most part in minimizing how much I sweat though. I can't promise the same result for you.
And since the weather is getting warmer what better place to start then your armpits!
Deodorants & Antiperspirants:
Over a year ago I learned that the antiperspirant I was using contained aluminum which can be linked to breast cancer & even Alzheimer's. Though the debate still rages on with the conclusively of these links, I wasn't about to take any risks with my own health. (If you were suspicious that someone had spit in your soup, would you eat it anyway?)
With Mat on board for switching, I began a month of testing out different pit sticks, right at the peak of summertime in the 35+ humidity. Thank goodness it didn't take me long to find the one that worked best!
Aluminum Free Deodorants
I started with Tom's of Maine. I didn't have the best of luck with them. They were great on days when I wasn't really out moving around but even just short walks I didn't find it would hold up so well. However, in the wintertime Tom's of Maine has worked fabulous.
Mat never used Tom's of Maine, which was probably for the better since he was doing a lot of yard work & gardening & I don't think it would have held up for him.
My next product test was a deodorant crystal from Bulk Barn. Nothing more than a simple salt crystal...Mat was the first to use it & with all his time outside, labouring in the hot sun, he loved it. Even on the hottest of hot days he would come in stink free!
I started using it after his success & have never turned back. It has never failed me once. And only on the rarest of occasions has Mat said he's had to 're-apply'.
Note: In case you aren't aware, there is a difference between deodorants & antiperspirants. Antiperspirants make you stop sweating, & these contain aluminum. Deodorants, don't stop you from sweating, they only make the sweat smell stop. Some deodorants may not contain aluminum though they do have other health hazardous ingredients.
Tom's of Maine & the deodorant crystal will not stop you from sweating. Sweating is the way by which your body naturally cools itself off. Personally I have found the deodorant crystal HAS been effective for the most part in minimizing how much I sweat though. I can't promise the same result for you.
Interesting topic.
ReplyDeleteIt's actually the bacteria, not the sweat, that makes you smell (I did some research on it at a library... Yes it was a children's library... But a fact is a fact no matter how small).
The deodorant crystal kills bacteria, something that most deodorants and antiperspirants don't claim to do. If you use scented soap in the shower, you don't really need scented deodorant, just something to kill the bad smell.
Nice to see somebody blogging about stuff that really matters, good job :)
Mat