Jun 26, 2009

as promised.

So, as promised here are some pics of the projects I have done or have begun to do. The first, as I mentioned in an earlier post is the fan.
Someone was just tossing this in the garbage! I saw the bright turquoise under tons of grease
& thought it would look so cool if it was cleaned up.
I sanded off all the rust & wiped all of the grease away. It still works but the wiring is a house fire waiting to happen. Rick - my father-in-law took a look at it & said it wouldn't be much to re-wire it. I consider him somewhat of a professional on these things so I trust his judgment! Hence why it is now at his house awaiting its operation.

Next is our new utensil holder. I love Crate Paper's new line "Early Bird".



I should have taken pics of the step by step process but I only ever think of doing things like that after the fact.
Basically I just used old peanut butter jars, put strips of super good adhesive all around it, cut the paper to size & wrapped it around. It's a little tricky to get straight but do-able if you are patient.
The ribbon I used on the rims didn't really work out. They wouldn't stick to anything (hot glue, paper tape, glue dots, nothing) So I peeled them off & used some of the super cute strips from the 'Early Bird' line. It makes me happier now anyway. :)

The beloved $3 solid maple desk. Pretty in its turquoise, there is such a thing as too much of it. I sanded down the top with extra coarse sandpaper.

Then I primed it.
{not without first spraying myself in the hand - twice!}
Due to my lack of spray painting skills, Mat finished spray painting the top with chalkboard paint.

We then bought crackle medium & when the humid weather finally eased off I coated the rest of the desk with it.
I let it dry for about an hour & then painted over top it with an antique white paint. It crackled immediately.

{Word of advice though if you plan to do something like this, normally painting you would want to put the paint on thick, not so with the crackle medium. Too much paint & the medium will make it sop right off the object.}

Here is the end result!



The freebie dining table. Free as it was, it needed some TLC. Okay...more like a lot of it. The layers of finish that were on the table made the top super sticky to the touch. It was collecting tons of dirt & grime & even mold in some areas.
I took the power sander to it.
{I love using the power sander}
However, because the finish was so thick after a lot of effort the sander merely gummed up the finish & wore out the sandpaper.
My mom brought out some stuff called "Supa Stripper" She painted it on & after a minute it began to bubble & we scraped off the layers of finish with ease - though it still took multiple coats of the Supa Stripper.


The end result - a smooth, soft table, mold and grime free!

Finally there's my bike. I lovingly sanded her down & took her apart with my father-in-law. I had left it at his house so that when the humidity eased off we could prime it & paint it.


While I was waiting for the weather to change, he both primed it & painted it for me!
{I was thrilled! I really wasn't looking forward to picking up a spray can again after the primer incident}


He even managed to keep all the chrome looking good & the emblem too!


Since this photo I have attached a little wooden basket. I cannot wait to ride it around the property of our new place!


So thats it for my plethora of projects. The next big one will be our new house, which we have already begun working on. But setting up shop is always a long process. I do have plans in the back of my mind though for a cheapie bed frame & some more of that crackle medium. :)
{I cannot sit creatively still for any length of time}

Do you have any projects you have in mind to do?

3 comments:

  1. super, super cute. i love all these items. the desk is especially beautiful - i love solid wood also :) and your bike! how wonderful is that!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO CREATIVE!
    That table looks AMAZING! I can't believe that it is the same old table from J&T. And that desk is gorgeous...I can't believe that you find all of these amazing things & for $3!!
    I CAN'T WAIT to see it when we come to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi!!

    You are so fantastically creative and imaginative! Great work girlie! I love love love, like . LOVE . that desk!! Sooooo cool!!!

    -Amber (mackinnon!)

    ReplyDelete