Jun 1, 2009

Let em eat cake

Obviously my creative side hasn't gotten a lot of exercise lately. I can feel my idle hands growing restless, and my mind is whirling with creative ideas and crafts.

For example I've begged my mom to teach my how to use her sewing machine. (hopefully tonight) I've found an interesting use for empty Pringles cans.
And I've taken an old ugly butter dish with a glass cover (a yard sale find) and painted it.

But what has been on my mind lately, and moreso over the past few days has been cake decorating. I'd thought about it before with great interest but never pursued it because of my location in Toronto. Now that we've moved I've been thinking again about different things to do with my spare time (rather than just going home at nights). Then I caught a cool cake idea from a blog I follow (will share later) and that brought me right back to the thought of cake decorating class - which happen to be 40% off right now at Michaels!

I'm hoping it'll work out. One - because I love to bake. Two - because I think it would be a great way to get to know other people in the community. Three - becuase I think I could make a business of it later on. Four - because its 40% off!! *laugh*

I'm dreaming now of being able to make cakes like this one day.

These are cakes by Kate Sullivan. I strongly suggest you check out her portfolio - just to be amazed at what people are capable of with cakes!

It's hard to believe some of those are cakes! Edible art! What could be better!?

I've failed horribly at enough cakes to know that without classes (or a really spankin good 'How-To' book) I will never gain this skill.

Here are some of my favorite cakes I found browsing the internet.

It would be great if it all the layers matched the fruit - an orange cake, a key lime cake and a lemon cake. yum!

I love the one on the right. I wonder if the leaves are cake too?


That's awesome - a James Bond cake.

I love the birdie cake in the middle. So cute!

Can you imagine how long this took!?

I have a lot of scrapbooking paper that looks like this cake. Again with the birds...I know. I can;t help it. I like em. Even the shirt I am wearing right now has a bird on it!More birds! Yay!
Now, I love to bake, but I]m not a huge fan of eating sweets. However, I am pretty sure that if this cake was put in front of me, I'd eat it.


This was rated one of the 50 most beautiful wedding cakes from brides.com

Thats all for now. Later!

3 comments:

  1. Dude, take the class! I wonder where you got your love of cake-making from anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making & decorating cakes. I'd rather make them for others, I'm not much one for eating them so much that quickly lost it's appeal after the first little while :)

    you should totally do the courses at Michaels. that is a great way to start a foundation.
    & learning new things is so great!

    ~Shona~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Naomi!! Our creative minds will get us into all kinds of fun things!! :) My mom used to have a cake business and also taught classes...she did our wedding cake (and, the groom's cake)...Now, I'll have to share a pic on the blog sometime. :) I think you would have such fun taking the classes.

    Just sent you an email with some info regarding the pic. :)

    Hope your week is offf to a good start! :)

    ReplyDelete