Oct 25, 2010

The Midwife Experience - Part 2

Though my second appointment at the midwifery was scheduled for October 13th, somewhere between my 10th & 12th week all the signs & symptoms of pregnancy disappeared. I was no longer feeling nauseated, the fatigue was gone, my boobs were no longer sore & I wasn't needing to pee every 20-30 minutes. So naturally, I started to worry.

Though my doula, Sarah, did much to be a source of comfort about the stats of miscarriage, I couldn't stop my mind of indulging in the horrible thoughts of a delayed miscarriage - that I was carrying a dead baby & the 'signs' of miscarriage were just not happening.

I did feel a little silly calling the midwifery for something that could so easily be dismissed as an episode of hypochondria, so I made sire to have another legitimate question to be calling about.

After leaving a message, Stacey phoned me back (the same day) to let me know that taking extra vitamin D (my other legitimate question) during pregnancy was just fine. I then asked her about getting a doppler ultrasound done, & confessed that I'd been feeling a little worried & wanted some reassurance that whoever was in there was still alive & well.

Without hesitation, Stacey added me to her already busy schedule to come in during her lunch break the next week for a doppler.
(Now, tell me what Dr. would do that?!)

The whole week I felt bad that I was making this poor, busy midwife deal with my insecurities & anxiety. But at the same time, I wasn't about to cancel. When I drove in to the clinic (mother in tow) I went into Stacey's office alone & stretched out on the nice day bed she has in there.

I immediately told myself, as Stacey was telling me, that if she didn't find the heartbeat that it didn't mean the baby was dead. But at the same time I was praying & praying she would find it. & as I explained in my Chapter 4 post, she did.

What comforted me most was that Stacey never questioned why I suddenly wanted the doppler or dismissed my reasons as silly or stupid when I told her about my anxiety. She was unreservedly there without hesitation.

I left that appointment on cloud 9.




No comments:

Post a Comment