Oct 25, 2010

The Midwife Experience

October 25 - 15 Weeks

Last Thursday I had my third appointment at the midwifery clinic in Belleville & I figured I should share a bit of what its like since it's such a huge part of our baby's early little life & its something I thoroughly look forward to.

For my first appointment I was terribly nervous but excited. I honestly counted down the days. It seemed that needing to see a midwife would make the whole pregnancy more real. Like somehow being there would confirm the baby existence (or expose the whole thing as a facade).

My mom came along. Mat was working & I was too nervous to go alone. I didn't know what to expect at the first appointment & I never thought to ask, so I didn't want to be alone.

Their office is the upper floor little house. They have 2 little offices, a reception room, a bathroom & a break room. Not a lot of space for big fat preggo women to move around, that's for sure. But its quite cozy (or, especially their lounge chairs & comfy couch) It is much more preferable to a Dr.'s office, where you are crammed like cattle in a waiting room, & then ushered to an even small waiting room.

Stacey, my midwife was delightful & very knowledgeable. She just returned from maternity leave & was sensitive in the way she treated me - even to the point of not using the largest gauge needle when taking blood, even though its easier for her. She was slow in remember some facts, but was taken aback by the kinds of questions I was asking. She was surprised that I had learned so much so quickly. After all, at this point I was only 10 weeks.

I was still terribly nervous despite Stacey's relaxed demeanor & comforting answers...after all this woman is going to know more things about me than anyone else on the planet, including myself!

It actually turned out to be perfect that my mom was there, because other than some general information, taking some blood & urine, Stacey just needed a bunch of family history health questions, which I had NO clue on answering, but my mother did.

Though my mom did tell Stacey that she was NOT excited. (!)

She then clarified by saying she wasn't excited about me being pregnant, but she WAS excited about being a grandmother....only my mom.

The whole thing was an hour & a half. Mostly just talking, getting to know each other & a few simple tests. When we left, I was already excited for my next appointment scheduled for October 13th....but it wasn't that much longer until I was in their office again.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment