Oh, how that quote has actually come to mean something to me.
Nov 3rd - 16 Weeks
It started Monday. I think Starbucks messed up my order. Well, actually I KNOW they messed up my order because the barista who thought she was being kind gave me a grande instead of a venti...which would normally be awesome, except that I am pretty sure she gave me regular coffee instead of decaf.
Picture a hummingbird.
Now picture a hummingbird who has just had a dark roast grande coffee from Starbucks.
That is the best imagine I can think of to compare what it is like for a pregnant woman who has not had caffeine for almost 5 months to suddenly consume more caffeine than she would in her non-pregnant days.
I was shaking. Like physically shaking.
My anxiety when through the roof too because my heart was just going nuts.
But ALLLLLL that was NOTHING compare to the heartburn.
It kicked in sometime after 3pm, it was pretty bad so I opted out of dinner and just had a huge bowl of yogurt instead. It persisted all night, to the point where I felt I might throw up with every belch.
When we got home from Spirit Borne, I was starving but still suffering. By this point I'd eaten 3 or 5 Tums with no effect. I ate some dry toast with milk before bed and still nothing.
I had to sleep sitting upright as acid just bounced back and forth between my throat and my stomach.
I woke up, totally un-rested, but feeling mildly better. Then I made the mistake of eating (what a stupid thing for a pregnant woman to do, right!?) This time the heartburn was back with a vengeance.
I survived my staff meeting but came home immediately to work from there, where I could suffer privately and try any/all home remedies for heartburn of which I will now rate:
#1 - Tums - normally effective, but after 5 and you still have heartburn, give it up and move on, they aren't working.
#2 - Hot water and honey - this is disgusting. I managed to drink an entire mug but not without wanting to vomit with every sip.
#3 - (We'll come back to #3)
#4 - Raw almonds - I'm not sure but this may have helped.
#5 - Cantaloupe - definitely helped for sure...possibly assisted by the almonds too.
oh but #3
#3 - Vinegar. (have you ever tried this? DON'T.)
The logic behind it is that if you down some vinegar your tummy will think there is way more acid than is needed to digest the food and will therefore stop producing acid and thus doing away with your heartburn.
Sounds logical, right?
Yeah.
Okay, so I still up a good tablespoon with white vinegar, and pour it right down the back of my throat.
Oh. My. Goodness.
(I'm glad I was home alone)
The first sensation was - choking. I thought I was choking. My brain is telling me "you can't choke on liquid!!) but my throat is saying "#$%&! I'M COKING!!!!"
I downed a glass of water only then to endure a good half hour of dry heaving.
And to finally finish off the ordeal, the rest of the night, I experienced what can only be compared to as stuffing your throat full of sharp-edged salt & vinegar chips.
NEVER. I repeat. NEVER EVER try vinegar.
It's effectiveness for heartburn cannot be accurately rated due to its ability to create even more intense heartburn-like symptoms.
My throat is still sore this morning, I feel like I've had strep throat.
Late last night we dashed out to get raw almonds and cantaloupe which were the suggestions of both my doula and husband.
Heartburn - gone.
Throat - healing, but refuses to forgive me. (I don't blame it)
Nov 3rd - 16 Weeks
It started Monday. I think Starbucks messed up my order. Well, actually I KNOW they messed up my order because the barista who thought she was being kind gave me a grande instead of a venti...which would normally be awesome, except that I am pretty sure she gave me regular coffee instead of decaf.
Picture a hummingbird.
Now picture a hummingbird who has just had a dark roast grande coffee from Starbucks.
That is the best imagine I can think of to compare what it is like for a pregnant woman who has not had caffeine for almost 5 months to suddenly consume more caffeine than she would in her non-pregnant days.
I was shaking. Like physically shaking.
My anxiety when through the roof too because my heart was just going nuts.
But ALLLLLL that was NOTHING compare to the heartburn.
It kicked in sometime after 3pm, it was pretty bad so I opted out of dinner and just had a huge bowl of yogurt instead. It persisted all night, to the point where I felt I might throw up with every belch.
When we got home from Spirit Borne, I was starving but still suffering. By this point I'd eaten 3 or 5 Tums with no effect. I ate some dry toast with milk before bed and still nothing.
I had to sleep sitting upright as acid just bounced back and forth between my throat and my stomach.
I woke up, totally un-rested, but feeling mildly better. Then I made the mistake of eating (what a stupid thing for a pregnant woman to do, right!?) This time the heartburn was back with a vengeance.
I survived my staff meeting but came home immediately to work from there, where I could suffer privately and try any/all home remedies for heartburn of which I will now rate:
#1 - Tums - normally effective, but after 5 and you still have heartburn, give it up and move on, they aren't working.
#2 - Hot water and honey - this is disgusting. I managed to drink an entire mug but not without wanting to vomit with every sip.
#3 - (We'll come back to #3)
#4 - Raw almonds - I'm not sure but this may have helped.
#5 - Cantaloupe - definitely helped for sure...possibly assisted by the almonds too.
oh but #3
#3 - Vinegar. (have you ever tried this? DON'T.)
The logic behind it is that if you down some vinegar your tummy will think there is way more acid than is needed to digest the food and will therefore stop producing acid and thus doing away with your heartburn.
Sounds logical, right?
Yeah.
Okay, so I still up a good tablespoon with white vinegar, and pour it right down the back of my throat.
Oh. My. Goodness.
(I'm glad I was home alone)
The first sensation was - choking. I thought I was choking. My brain is telling me "you can't choke on liquid!!) but my throat is saying "#$%&! I'M COKING!!!!"
I downed a glass of water only then to endure a good half hour of dry heaving.
And to finally finish off the ordeal, the rest of the night, I experienced what can only be compared to as stuffing your throat full of sharp-edged salt & vinegar chips.
NEVER. I repeat. NEVER EVER try vinegar.
It's effectiveness for heartburn cannot be accurately rated due to its ability to create even more intense heartburn-like symptoms.
My throat is still sore this morning, I feel like I've had strep throat.
Late last night we dashed out to get raw almonds and cantaloupe which were the suggestions of both my doula and husband.
Heartburn - gone.
Throat - healing, but refuses to forgive me. (I don't blame it)
No comments:
Post a Comment