Feb 23, 2011

Why Home Birth?

33 weeks

No one has really asked me why we've decided on a homebirth (this was as much my husband's desire as it was mine) but plenty of people have given us 'looks' or dived into all sorts of 'what if' scenarios , some have just called us crazy.

I know I've sort of hinted at reasons as I've been posting throughout this pregnancy some of the reasons why, but I thought it might be helpful for myself (& others) to read why we are planning on a homebirth.
(Note: We are still waiting to 'qualify' for homebirth, in order to do so labour cannot begin until after 37 weeks - in all other regards we qualify as we are not a high risk pregnancy)

Reasons We Chose Homebirth

A more relaxed environment for labouring in.
No unwanted interruptions from medical staff, no sterile rooms, no procedures or protocols to respond to, peace from other events that may be going on, no one else's schedule to labour around. We feel safe & comfortable at home & what more important time could there be to feel safe & comfortable then giving birth?

More freedom in labour
Ability to walk, move, dance, sway, bathe, bounce, eat, drink, heck even 'moo'. No machines to be hooked up to, no fetal monitors, no I.V. No one telling us we can/cannot do something that helps labour because it's against hospital regulations.

More labour options that agree with our desires
No temptation for drugs or pain relievers, no suggestions for unnecessary c-sections, no episotomy, forceps or vacuum (Note: an episotomy & forceps are available though my midwives, but they will only be administered if desperately needed, not as an immediate option)

Birth Position
(I don't think there are many men reading this blog so...) No need to assume a birthing position that is helpful for the Dr. (ie: laying on your back with your knees to your chin) Instead we have the freedom to birth in any variety of positions, squatting, standing, kneeling, even in the bathtub & whatever position uses gravity the most effectively (ie: squatting) the quicker birth may be!

More time with Squeaker after he/she is born
No hospital procedures that may remove our child from my presence, no nurses needing to weigh, do checks & other routines immediately after birth, no frenzied activity in the room after birth. Instead it is our midwives mandate that unless there is some danger to the baby, he/she is to spend the first our skin to skin with mom to establish calmness for the baby & hopefully even breastfeeding

Only one collective voice to listen to
No variety of nurses to deal with, no variety of opinions on breastfeeding or other newborn care. We will have only 2 midwives & 1 doula who all know our birth plan & who share our desires & respect our wishes.

Time to peacefully fall in love & be gently cared for
No worries of being 'left' after the birth, or Squeaker being taken away. Instead our midwives & doula will stay for at least 3 hours after Squeaker is born, cleaning up, doing their examination of Squeaker on the bed with me & even helping me & Squeaker bathe in a healing herbal bath if I desire (yes please!)

An abundance of postpartum care
No waiting around to start living our new lives at home, because we are home! No waiting around a hospital with strangers, & potentially uncaring medical staff, or terrible food. Our midwives & doula will check on us 24 hours after the birth at home & anytime thereafter that we feel we may need for up to a month.


Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that if you have had/or are planning on a hospital birth that this has been/will be your experience. But we believe that there is a much larger threat in hospitals for these negative consequences of birth than there is at home.

I'd also like to note that most interestingly, the 'older' generation of friends & family we've told about our plans to homebirth have been receptive & encouraging while it has been friends of our generation who have seemed shocked (if not hostile) to the whole thing. Funny. (I won't comment on that for now)

Anyway, if you want to learn more about homebirths, check out Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. An astounding book complete with stats on the overall effectiveness of homebirth vrs. hospital birth! Or, you can just ask me all about it in about 7-8 weeks. :)



1 comment:

  1. I am definitely *not* one of the "nay-sayers"... I DESPERATELY want a homebirth... but it is impossible in Three Hills :(:(:(

    I'm so excited for you though - you are going to be awesome, and I think you're going to love the whole experience!

    ReplyDelete