Apr 5, 2011

I'm going to take a nap now.

39 weeks + 2 days

Last night was pretty miserable. I probably slept for a grand total of 2 hours (but not all at once)

* * *

After our midwife appointment yesterday afternoon with little to report other than some cramps that came only at nighttime, we left and suddenly *BAM* - backaches, cramps, and even what I guess would be called contractions. But I went about my day as normal, had a lovely cuppa joe with our doula and then managed to make a meatloaf at home before calling it quits.

Then bed - Oh how I am now dreading it. It didn't take long before the cramps or contractions got worse...maybe they didn't actually get worse, I just had nothing else to distract me from what was going on. But every single one of them would wake me up from my sleep...and it got to the point where I finally had to 'breathe' my way through them.
(Thank goodness Mat slept through all of this, it was his first day at work today and I dreaded him being exhausted and then coming home to a potentially labouring wife!)

I gave up somewhere around 7am and got up. The pains have 'lingered' all day, sometimes stopping me in my tracks for a moment or two. But I've been doing my best just to go on as if nothing is happening (though it feels like I'm having the period from hell!) because really, this could go on for days (oh how I hope it doesn't) But I'm not sure what this all is or means...is it pre-labour? early labour? just nothing but cramps? I guess in time it'll all come down to Squeaker being evicted.

* * *

There are a few things keeping me 'up' as this all discomfort goes on: 

#1 - I'm drinking a glass of wine tonight (midwife approved) to hopefully help me sleep (rather than tylenol and gravol)

#2 - Trying to savour every little kick and wiggle Squeaker gives me because I know it's just a matter of time before I'll lose that. I'm also trying to savour every 'independent' moment, ie: showering at my leisure with no need to rush.

#3 - Tomorrow we are going to go to a homebirth info night at the midwifery and we're both excited about hearing homebirth stories from other couples. we've already made up our minds of course, but we like the idea of surrounding ourselves with like-minded couples.

#4 - WE GET TO MEET OUR BABY SOON!!! :D


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys!!! I don't know how this snuck up on me - you're due so soon! I can't wait!!! You are doing a great job at keeping a positive attitude this far along - I don't think ANY pregnant woman at this stage is perfectly comfortable, but like you said - you get to meet your baby very very soon. Your life is about to change in ways you cannot even imagine! :):):)

    ReplyDelete