May 10, 2011

Cheaper, Greener Recipes - Chickpea Patties

It's hard for me as a vegetarian to feel like a good guest when invited to someones home for a meal & having to tell them I don't eat meat. I feel like I am inconveniencing them & had they known I was vegetarian, they wouldn't have invited me over.

A sweet couple from our church invited us over for dinner & I had really hoped we could connect well with them & I felt I may ruin our chances when I told them I don't eat meat.

However, they cooked us a fabulous meal - so delicious in fact, I NEEDED the recipe afterwards.
I was scared by how lengthy & time consuming it looked. (I made the recipe below a lot more simple than the original recipe was) And I was very flattered that they had gone through SO MUCH work just for little ol vegetarian me.

It took me a long time to try this recipe for myself...but once I did I wondered why I ever took so long to give it a shot!

Chickpea Patties

A little margarine or butter
2 chopped onions
4 garlic minced cloves
1 TBSP cumin
1 1/2 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 eggs
2/3 cup flour
spices (whatever ones you'd like)

Directions: Heat margarine in a frying pan, add onion and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
In a food processor, blend chickpeas, sunflower seeds, egg, onions, garlic & cumin.
Put mixture into a large bowl & fold in flour & spices.
Using floured hands form into patties.
Fry in a frying pan (with or without margarine) being sure to do both sides.
Makes about 8 patties

* * *

Notes: Adding more spices is a good idea. The above recipe does not contain all the spices I tend to use because every time its just a little different depending on what I have in the house that day. I tend to go for basil, thyme, sage, marjoram or even dill or oregano.

Whys & Whats: These patties are greatly loaded with protein from the chickpeas, & don't have any added unnecessary sodium!

Our Assessment: These are great just to eat on their own or as a replacement for hamburgers. They would also be delicious with a dill sauce but I have yet to find one that I am satisfied with.

No comments:

Post a Comment