Mar 1, 2010

Brighter Day


The Spirit Borne high school preforming arts team that I have been working with since September had their two final local shows this weekend before they hit the road for their tour to Florida.
Their last show was incredible. They did a near flawless job. I was so impressed & so proud.

I have to confess though, I really didn't want to be involved.

I didn't want to do it for a multitude of reasons, a few being that I am selfish with my time,
I didn't feel 'qualified' for the job, nor was I interested in leading a small group of high school girls.

But I did it anyway.

Because my view of ministry isn't just limited to what a person feels 'called' or 'gifted' to do. I think ministry also lies in the small details. If there is a need that has to be addressed or a place where someone's presence is required, like printing church bulletins, making tea and coffee for after a church service etc. Whatever it is, long as it is within someone's basic capabilities, than that can be just as much ministry as someone's calling to be a pastor or missionary.

I didn't feel called, nor am I gifted to be a youth worker by any means. However, I knew I could work with Spirit Borne. It was within my capabilities to lead these girls & be a leader for the larger team of 54 students. Therefore I did it.

I am glad I did, & I plan on doing it again next year.

Working with the 6 girls in my small group has been such a blessing to me.
Hearing them sing has been healing & sometimes downright awe-inspiring.
Getting hugs from them after their shows made my heart melt.
I am more blessed than I ever thought I would be because of Spirit Borne.

But I still don't feel like I was 'called' into it or that I am 'gifted' at it. I was capable & available.

Maybe that is my ministry, my gifting, my calling...
...to be willing when I am capable & available.

No comments:

Post a Comment