Aug 17, 2010

Chapter One: In the Beginning...

The following post is retro-active? retro-dated? retro-spective? It's retro something. Today is actually the 29th of September, but here is what I was thinking more then a month ago...

p.s. - The following is still confidential, only you few who can read this have been invited to be in the know until after Thanksgiving. So keep your yaps shut.

* * *

{Today is August 17th}

We found out we were pregnant on Thursday August 5th.

I knew I was pregnant July 8th.

How?

Well there were a few simple physical signs that tipped me off early. {I'll spare you the details} But I will say it made me so glad to be so in-tune with my body and its rhythms to be able to notice such a 'slight' change as getting pregnant within days of conception. {Scoffers may scoff but I could care less}

Between the 8th of July and August 5th I was unaffected by the pregnancy on any large scale. As my expected date of my period drew closer, I waited patiently each morning for 7am to come around when I take my basal body temperature. Usually it drops a day before my period from 98.0 to somewhere like 97.6.

It kept up at 98.0, 98.1, 98.0, 98.2....

If you know anything about your bodies cycles and rhythms you may know that there is {on average} 12 to 16 days between your fertile days and your period. {It's called the luteal stage} If it extends beyond 16 days, you may be pregnant.

Day 18 rolls around...I'm getting excited. But I wasn't letting myself take a pregnancy test yet.

The simple fact of it was Mat and I could not afford to purchase a test, we just happened to have ONE a friend gave us and we didn't want to 'waste it' in case my charting was off.

Plus we had a guest at our house and we didn't want to have to hold in the joy.

* * *

I shot out of bed on Thursday the 5th. I was somewhere like 23 days into my luteal stage. In other words, my period was NOT coming.

I rushed to the washroom while Mat was still sleeping.

As I stared anxiously at the pregnancy test as the first line appeared {the 'not pregnant' line} I was really bummed out. It came out so clear and quickly I was starting to doubt everything I felt in my body and soul.

Then slowly the second line started to come in. At first I was sure I was just focusing too hard on the test...that I was imagining it. But after a few good blinks it was there...line #2 - Pregnant.

I don't even know what happened mentally after that. My mind must have blanked for about 5 seconds. Though I do remember the fleeting thought, "I knew it."
* * *

I'd always dreamed about the million and one ways I would like to tell Mat "We're going to have a baby!"

Not once did I picture jumping on top of him in bed, and getting that sleepy-what-what-are-you-doing-I'm-sleeping-look and saying with a HUGE grin on my face and morning breath that would shame dogs "We're pregnant!"

{We'll actually, I'M pregnant. Mat's not, that would be weird}

And of course he asked, "Really?"

As if I would lie.

He asked if he could see the pregnancy test and disappeared into the washroom to take a look as if he might doubt my skills to seeing TWO lines instead of just one.

He came back with a grin.

* * *

Now I know people take pictures of their pregnancy tests. Which is neat in one way and so weird in another. {I mean, who wants to keep that little jar they pee in at the Dr's office?} I never knew what we would do with ours...I did take a picture...and then threw it in the trash.

But then we found ourselves periodically returning to the washroom throughout the day to look at the test in the trash can.

Eventually I pulled it out and set it on the back of the toilet. It was the one thing that was convincing me at the moment that we were indeed going to have a baby. Plus, it was fun every time Mat went into the washroom to have him come out and say "There's a pregnancy test in there that indicates that you're pregnant!"

It took until late the next day before I finally put it back in the garbage. I was more or less afraid of someome unexpectedly popping in and needing to use the washroom and us forgetting. That and it was finally the point where I think I needed to start 'listening' to my body and hear its tell-tale signs of pregnancy.






1 comment:

  1. YAY!! :)

    I completely understand the waiting & WAITING for the 2nd line to appear...it takes FOREVER! & then when it shows up it is HARD TO BELIEVE!

    YAY!! I'm SO EXCITED for you guys...in fact I almost bought Baby Coker a present tonight but then remembered that I have a little time :)

    Love ALL 3 OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete