Aug 17, 2010

Chapter Two: Stormy Seas


Week 5 - {Sometime in early August}

Since taking the pregnancy test {and finally throwing it away} I called the local chapter of midwives and got in with a midwife named Stacy. I'm really excited about my first appointment with her on September 13th.

I also contacted a doula I know, Sarah {who has worked with Stacy before} Mat and I are planning on a home birth {unless Stacy advises otherwise} and we feel its important for me to have as much educated & supporting women around at that time. I haven't had the opportunity to speak with Stacy yet, but I have talked to Sarah plenty because this first stage is NOT easy.

* * *

I slowly started to get more and more tired each day. I knew fatigue was part of the package, but it was pretty pathetic when I would get up from a full night sleep, eat breakfast and then go lay down for an hour or more. sheesh.

I read 'What to Eat When You're Expecting' in like two days and immediately started to rule out anything that was sugary, not whole grains, and coffee {though I naturally lost my taste for it}, and started doubling up on milk {terrible terrible milk} and being extra mindful of what I was eating at meal time.

This bring me to Sunday August the 8th

*shudder*

After church we came home and I prepped a leftover quiche {extra egg-ie goodness!} and some raw broccoli.

Yeah.

Even just typing it makes me feel sick all over again.

Apparently your body, though needing the nutrients of raw veggies, slows in digestion during the first trimester, making certain foods that are normally difficult to digest almost impossible. {I have now noticed my body developing a natural aversion to raw veggies, especially salads, though the craving for them will return in the second trimester so I've been told}

Anyway, broccoli is evil.

The indigestion that followed had me in tears, at points I was begging my body to throw up. I wanted to just get it all out of me and feel better again.

THE WHOLE DAY

At points I would feel like I was about to throw up and I'd get all hopeful thinking, "I'll feel better after this!" Only to conjure up some pathetic little acidic burp that left me with tears in my eyes and a horrible regurgitated broccoli taste in my mouth.

I don't even think I bothered to eat dinner that night. I know we went for a walk later, which helped work the food down, but it was terribly uncomfortable.

Raw veggies are out {for now}

* * *

Fast forward to Thursday August 12th. I wake up in the morning, only to feel the desire to go back to sleep. {Growing a baby is ridiculously hard work!} But I have no choice but to leave my cozy couch and my would-be couch-nap for work at the Fruigtable Stand.

The drive was unlike anything I'd experienced before....simply because I don't remember it at all. I pulled into the farm and suddenly became aware of where I was. I hit a moment of panic "Did I drive through a red light?! Did I pass through stop signs!?" I was off. Definitely off.

To make matter just a bit worse by this point my morning sickness had pulled into the farm too leaving me feeling like I was on the hull of a ship in stormy seas....and I had to help load up the trailer with all the fruits and veggies, which isn't a nauseating task because of the food but because of the weight of the bushels and the dizzying pattern of turning around and around and around. Yeah, sea sick on a farm.

By the time we got the tables set up I knew what had to be done.

I hadn't done my job to the best of my ability that morning and I knew this was just the beginning. So I told my bosses {Rod & Lori} "I'm sorry if I'm not pulling my weight around here like I used to or if I won't pick up a particularly heavy bushel, because, well, I'm pregnant, and feel really sick"

They were both thrilled and were totally sympathetic. In fact, every time Rod sees me going for a heavy bushel now he says "Easy Momma" {Nothing like feeling like a heifer to make you want to show a man just how tough you can be} :) Rod's really a great guy. And Lori told me all about how when she was pregnant with her 4th all she could eat during the whole pregnancy was raw corn, Doritos and beer. {Though her Dr. had her limited to one beer a day}

* * *

Since then morning sickness has been a part of my everyday and my all day. And fatigue too. I've had to totally re-vamp my eating habits. I now graze or nibble on something all day...usually cheese on a bagel or an apple. And I have a trusty supply of ginger ale. {Sweet sweet ginger ale, Pepsi Co.'s gift to pregnant women}

Plus I managed to discover a few awesome little helps along the way. Namely, lemons. Oh thank the good Lord {seriously} for lemons. If there is a sickening smell - I sniff a lemon. My tummy is acting up again, hot water and fresh lemon. I haven't eaten for a while and my tummy isn't going to like the first bite of food? Again, hot water and lemon. It also cuts down the heartburn because of the acid in the lemons means your tummy produces less of its own.

Lemons are awesome. I wonder if they could be a cure for sea-sickness?




1 comment:

  1. I am sooooo excited for you guys. What an adventure eh? And the real craziness begins when the kid is born. What fun it is! I look forward to hearing your thoughts along the way. Blog lots, k? Even if you have to type it @ home and publish later. I miss you & being in your life!

    ReplyDelete