30 weeks, still.
Usually I don't post anything to deep or theological on my blog, mostly because though I am able to think deeply & theologically, I am quite lazy.
But I've been convicted lately, like scary convicted.
Nevermore in my life than now have I felt that I'm neglecting reading God's Word. I mean, I've been reading it weekly but mostly for work & not thinking about what I am reading. I began to realize just how terrible that is. So, obviously, as a result, I am reading the Scriptures more for my own personal growth & to better understand my God & Saviour.
I started in Matthew. I didn't think too deep on what I was reading, I just wanted to read it. But something did stand out to me & shook me up. It was the passage where Jesus is answering his disciples questions about his resurrection, & the end of the age. Somewhere close to there is the parable of the 10 virgins, & somehow it just hit me...I don't live at all like I truly believe Jesus is going to return (or as I like to call it Jesus' Arrival)
I thought about my day to day life, my getting up, eating breakfast, going to work, shopping at WalMart life & realized that in none of this am I acting like Jesus is going to arrive at any moment. Because of this, I became aware that I deep down have a hard time believing it to be true.
It was disturbing, because I didn't want to be one of the 5 virgins who doesn't prepare for the coming of the bridegroom & gets shut out of the wedding feast. I don't want to be unprepared for the fullness of God's Kingdom & be left out of it.
But I didn't know how to reconcile the two:
My WalMart shopping everyday life & my knowledge of Jesus arrival.
I knew that something needed to change in me to make the reality of Jesus' arrival more 'real' & more tangible, less like a fairy tale, less like a movie.
{Because really, don't many of us Christians think of Jesus' arrival the sort of thing that only happens in movies? Its easy to accept that He lived, died & rose again some 2000 years ago, but its difficult to accept that one day, while we're walking around WalMart shopping for a deal on laundry detergent the trumpets will sound & the Lord shall descend.}
Anyway...yeah - I needed to reconcile the two.
Last Thursday I was driving out to my doula's home to discuss living 'greener' & using natural products for Squeaker...& I was going over this whole thing in my mind.
Then it hit me.
Why were Mat & I so concerned about being greener, buying natural products & getting more things organic?
We cared about the planet, our bodies & especially the body & soul of our soon to arrive Squeaker.
Here was my connection.
Jesus' arrival isn't about destroying the world, its about restoring it. Setting things right, to the way they should be, the way they could have been from the start.
For us, buying organic, green & natural is about participating in the reality of that truth.
God's Earth was made good...we ought to care for it.
Buying green products do just that. Likewise, NOT buying products that are laden with harmful chemicals will do that too.
Since then, we have purged our house of everything from cleaners, to shampoos & soaps.
God made the human body & said it was very good...we ought to care for it too.
Not only did we toss out the soaps & shampoos that contained chemicals that were harmful for the environment, but they were also harmful for our bodies, polluting what God made with toxins that disrupt hormones, cause cancers & even damage neurons! Presently, I am in the process of learning how to make our own soap without dyes or perfumes, our own toothpaste & even our own body lotion.
Furthermore, we're in the process of going organic & natural (to the best of our ability, meaning we also need to be good stewards of the money God has given us) with our food. We already don't purchase meat at all & we buy organic produce when its available. But we've decided to take it a step further, not purchasing canned goods or buying things that are processed foods.
God is in the process of creating Squeaker & He has given him/her to us...we have a huge responsibility to God for our child.
We've not only changed our household around so that Squeaker will grow up in a greener, more natural, organic home...but we also want to stop the madness that surrounds parenting & child-rearing in our own small way. With the exception of gifts, Squeaker will have next to nothing purchased new for him/her. His/her clothing, most of his/her diapers, bottles, & whatever needful accessories (ie: a swing) will be purchased second hand. In this way, we can refrain from participating in the over-production of goods, the waste of fuel for transporting & recycle what is still good & useful.
In all these ways, I feel I am saying, Jesus, I am waiting for your arrival by knowing you are going to restore everything again, & I want to help in that by respecting what you deemed good & by living in this consumerist WalMart society by spending the money you've blessed us with in ways that will help restore the earth, & our own bodies until you come.
Indeed, come King Jesus. Come.
Usually I don't post anything to deep or theological on my blog, mostly because though I am able to think deeply & theologically, I am quite lazy.
But I've been convicted lately, like scary convicted.
Nevermore in my life than now have I felt that I'm neglecting reading God's Word. I mean, I've been reading it weekly but mostly for work & not thinking about what I am reading. I began to realize just how terrible that is. So, obviously, as a result, I am reading the Scriptures more for my own personal growth & to better understand my God & Saviour.
I started in Matthew. I didn't think too deep on what I was reading, I just wanted to read it. But something did stand out to me & shook me up. It was the passage where Jesus is answering his disciples questions about his resurrection, & the end of the age. Somewhere close to there is the parable of the 10 virgins, & somehow it just hit me...I don't live at all like I truly believe Jesus is going to return (or as I like to call it Jesus' Arrival)
I thought about my day to day life, my getting up, eating breakfast, going to work, shopping at WalMart life & realized that in none of this am I acting like Jesus is going to arrive at any moment. Because of this, I became aware that I deep down have a hard time believing it to be true.
It was disturbing, because I didn't want to be one of the 5 virgins who doesn't prepare for the coming of the bridegroom & gets shut out of the wedding feast. I don't want to be unprepared for the fullness of God's Kingdom & be left out of it.
But I didn't know how to reconcile the two:
My WalMart shopping everyday life & my knowledge of Jesus arrival.
I knew that something needed to change in me to make the reality of Jesus' arrival more 'real' & more tangible, less like a fairy tale, less like a movie.
{Because really, don't many of us Christians think of Jesus' arrival the sort of thing that only happens in movies? Its easy to accept that He lived, died & rose again some 2000 years ago, but its difficult to accept that one day, while we're walking around WalMart shopping for a deal on laundry detergent the trumpets will sound & the Lord shall descend.}
Anyway...yeah - I needed to reconcile the two.
Last Thursday I was driving out to my doula's home to discuss living 'greener' & using natural products for Squeaker...& I was going over this whole thing in my mind.
Then it hit me.
Why were Mat & I so concerned about being greener, buying natural products & getting more things organic?
We cared about the planet, our bodies & especially the body & soul of our soon to arrive Squeaker.
Here was my connection.
Jesus' arrival isn't about destroying the world, its about restoring it. Setting things right, to the way they should be, the way they could have been from the start.
For us, buying organic, green & natural is about participating in the reality of that truth.
God's Earth was made good...we ought to care for it.
Buying green products do just that. Likewise, NOT buying products that are laden with harmful chemicals will do that too.
Since then, we have purged our house of everything from cleaners, to shampoos & soaps.
God made the human body & said it was very good...we ought to care for it too.
Not only did we toss out the soaps & shampoos that contained chemicals that were harmful for the environment, but they were also harmful for our bodies, polluting what God made with toxins that disrupt hormones, cause cancers & even damage neurons! Presently, I am in the process of learning how to make our own soap without dyes or perfumes, our own toothpaste & even our own body lotion.
Furthermore, we're in the process of going organic & natural (to the best of our ability, meaning we also need to be good stewards of the money God has given us) with our food. We already don't purchase meat at all & we buy organic produce when its available. But we've decided to take it a step further, not purchasing canned goods or buying things that are processed foods.
God is in the process of creating Squeaker & He has given him/her to us...we have a huge responsibility to God for our child.
We've not only changed our household around so that Squeaker will grow up in a greener, more natural, organic home...but we also want to stop the madness that surrounds parenting & child-rearing in our own small way. With the exception of gifts, Squeaker will have next to nothing purchased new for him/her. His/her clothing, most of his/her diapers, bottles, & whatever needful accessories (ie: a swing) will be purchased second hand. In this way, we can refrain from participating in the over-production of goods, the waste of fuel for transporting & recycle what is still good & useful.
In all these ways, I feel I am saying, Jesus, I am waiting for your arrival by knowing you are going to restore everything again, & I want to help in that by respecting what you deemed good & by living in this consumerist WalMart society by spending the money you've blessed us with in ways that will help restore the earth, & our own bodies until you come.
Indeed, come King Jesus. Come.
Having a baby certainly turns your world upside down doesn't it. ;)
ReplyDeleteI made your toothpaste & "Baby Belly Balm" today. I'll email you the ingredients list/instructions for both.
Exciting that you are on this journey. Though we disagree about meat consumption... the rest of it sounds great :)
ReplyDelete