Apr 27, 2011

The Easiest and Hardest Part

So far life with a newborn is pretty much what I expected - cry, feed, sleep, repeat.

The only area that has proved to be much different is breastfeeding. It has been both easier and much harder than I expected.

Prior to giving birth to Ransom, I fretted all about breastfeeding because I was so adamant about breast milk being the only nutrition good enough for our baby - yet I'd heard so many people had a hard time with it and gave up after a short time, and I didn't want to walk that road. I prepared myself as best I could, I read books, watched videos and even had a special session with our doula for both Mat and myself on the topic.

When Ransom was finally born - he latched beautifully and there has been zero complications since. I know I'm fortunate and I don't take it for granted at all that Ransom is a good nurser. So in that way, nursing has been easier than I thought.

What I wasn't prepared for - and what no book can prepare you for - is the mental and psychological toll breastfeeding can have.

Ransom is now 22 days old and he has been so 'attached' to my chest it has been overwhelming at times. When nothing consoles him - the breast will, when he's fighting sleep - the breast will knock him out, whether he's hungry or not - the breast it where he wants to be. It's gotten to the point that I have now mastered going to the bathroom while nursing the lil guy! (I've since stopped that and let him wail while I use the facilities...but afterwards he wants right back at the boob!)

At times its convenient - like when I am really tired and I just want some peace and quiet...I know that nursing will quiet him down - but for the most part its difficult to have to share my body 24/7 with someone as demanding as an infant. And there is no 'thanks mom' afterwards. There is nothing but the demand of more more more more more more more more more more more more more more...you get my point.

Some people talk about the reward of bonding time with the baby. I've felt little of that. It is sweet when his little eyes are looking into mine, but he does that off the breast too.

The only reward I've felt is seeing my lil guy get bigger. I know he's healthy and well fed. I have zero fears of him not getting enough or being malnourished. And I suppose that is reward enough since the opposite is terrifying.

I shared my frustrations with a couple of friends.
First it was comforting to know that I wasn't alone in feeling this way. (Thank goodness!)
Second, I was reminded that as a Christian this is an act of self-sacrifice and that God is paying attention to all the love and 'giving' that is going on as we raise Ransom. (That reminder really helps when those frustrating times come!)
And third, I've discovered a new beauty about my body and I'm more comfortable with it than ever (to the point where I am caring less and less about the etiquette of breastfeeding in public...though I am still pretty modest in my views...but I am caring less)

So far 22 days into motherhood this is the hardest thing. I suppose we're doing pretty good so far.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Naomi! So proud of you! If you get bored and you're stuck nursing for a long time, pick up the phone. :) I dont know what service provider you have, but if you're on Rogers, its free.

    ReplyDelete