May 3, 2011

Cheaper, Greener Recipes: Hummus

So as we return to a new normal in our home - so shall this blog...
Moving away from the personal health care products on the 'cheaper, greener journey', we'll move on to the kitchen...where I spend a good 95% of my time....or I did until Ransom came along.

Food is important to me. I am foodie I guess. I love to bake, though I am not sure much a fan of eating baked goods. I'm not so much a fan of cooking, but I do love it when I find a recipe that is just awesome and I can introduce into our regular menu.

Things have been changing in our fridge & pantry though. A combination of wanting to be better to the environment, my being pregnant, Mat wanting to lower his sodium intact & a general desire to be healthier has led to the purging of almost all processed foods (a few stragglers remain clinging to the shelves) & an over abundance of fresh fruits & veggies as well as a plethora of dried beans & lentils. (Ours is also a mostly vegetarian household)


Though most of the changes we relatively easy to make, the sodium has been a huge thing to tackle. It's everywhere, in everything. It's in milk for goodness sake! And for Mat who is trying to adhere to the Heart and Stroke recommendation of less than 1800mg of salt a day (about 1 tsp) its near impossible not to go way above that!

That left me, the main cook in this house with the huge task of making sure my husband was fed & fed healthy for both his body & conscience.

The next several recipes/posts will be sodium reduced (if not sodium eliminated) recipes that we've tried & loved. They are also healthier choices than store bought.

One word of caution...changing your diet does mean changing your kitchen pantry, & that is the easy part. The hard part is changing YOUR time in the kitchen. Be prepared to spend longer amounts of time prepping meals & even needing to think a day or even two in advance of what you will need to prepare. The great thing is, once you get into a regular healthier diet, you will find you have more energy, & you can use it in the kitchen!

* * *

Sodium Free Hummus

5 cups cooked ckickpeas (you can used canned but they are loaded with salt)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 TBSP tahini
1 whole lemon, juiced. (Though you may want more depending on the size of the lemon)
1 TBSP paprika
LOTS of basil, fresh if you can get it
3 cloves minced garlic

Directions: Put it all in a blender or food processor. If it gets a little too thick to blend, add more lemon juice. Store in a glass container in the fridge. It'll be good there for a little less than a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment