Now that Ransom has been born and the work of labor has been done, I've had plenty of time to think over what doula care meant for us during the labor process and post postpartum.
Quite simply, I could not have birth Ransom without Sarah.
If you have read Ransom's Birth Story, you'll know that I called Sarah first thing in the morning (around 7am) on the Wednesday I was in labor. She was more than willing to pop over then and there and just chill with me all day and watch movies. I was still unconvinced I was in REAL labor so I told her I'd just call if I actually needed her - which wasn't until about 4pm.
When she did arrive, she went right to work. As if she knew exactly what I needed (and she probably did!) The double hip squeeze and the pressure on the small of my back was such relief.
But aside from the physical support, the suggestions for different labor positions, and the verbal support, Sarah's eyes made all the difference for me. Where Mat and our midwife, Stacey has eyes filled with support and compassion - Sarah's had confidence and strength. When things got really hard and I could only manage to open my eyes for a moment, I would search for hers - they were comforting because I could see in them that nothing was wrong, everything was fine, I was fine and the baby was fine. We were doing this laboring thing just perfectly.
For Mat as well, I saw and felt a change in him shortly after Sarah's arrival. Whereas prior to her coming he was supportive, of course, but a little 'lost' as to what to do to help me. Once Sarah arrived, she was able to coach him and I could feel the difference in his confident touches and encouraging words as he would repeat the encouraging phrases Sarah would say.
Sarah never once left my side. Never. I don't even know is she used the bathroom or ate anything in those 9 hours! Even when I hopped into the shower for a moment alone, she stood vigil at the door.
I crushed her fingers, fell into her arms, clutched on to her, collapsed at her feet, and whatever else...and her resolve was ever confident and strengthening.
I will NEVER go through another birth without a doula, and if we can have it our way, without Sarah.
* * *
Doula care is well worth the money (and then some!) if you find the right doula for you and your partner.
Their knowledge of labor coping techniques can help keep a laboring mother from using medication, if she desires not to have drugs.
Or even if you plan on a medicated birth, a labor doula can help assure you that everything you are experiencing is normal and reassure your partner that he can help, coach him on how to help, and she can also care for him too (because dad's need to keep up their energy just as much as moms!)
* * *
For more information please visit: www.embracedoulacare.com
Or to find a doula near you visit: DONA International
Quite simply, I could not have birth Ransom without Sarah.
If you have read Ransom's Birth Story, you'll know that I called Sarah first thing in the morning (around 7am) on the Wednesday I was in labor. She was more than willing to pop over then and there and just chill with me all day and watch movies. I was still unconvinced I was in REAL labor so I told her I'd just call if I actually needed her - which wasn't until about 4pm.
When she did arrive, she went right to work. As if she knew exactly what I needed (and she probably did!) The double hip squeeze and the pressure on the small of my back was such relief.
But aside from the physical support, the suggestions for different labor positions, and the verbal support, Sarah's eyes made all the difference for me. Where Mat and our midwife, Stacey has eyes filled with support and compassion - Sarah's had confidence and strength. When things got really hard and I could only manage to open my eyes for a moment, I would search for hers - they were comforting because I could see in them that nothing was wrong, everything was fine, I was fine and the baby was fine. We were doing this laboring thing just perfectly.
For Mat as well, I saw and felt a change in him shortly after Sarah's arrival. Whereas prior to her coming he was supportive, of course, but a little 'lost' as to what to do to help me. Once Sarah arrived, she was able to coach him and I could feel the difference in his confident touches and encouraging words as he would repeat the encouraging phrases Sarah would say.
Sarah never once left my side. Never. I don't even know is she used the bathroom or ate anything in those 9 hours! Even when I hopped into the shower for a moment alone, she stood vigil at the door.
I crushed her fingers, fell into her arms, clutched on to her, collapsed at her feet, and whatever else...and her resolve was ever confident and strengthening.
I will NEVER go through another birth without a doula, and if we can have it our way, without Sarah.
* * *
Doula care is well worth the money (and then some!) if you find the right doula for you and your partner.
Their knowledge of labor coping techniques can help keep a laboring mother from using medication, if she desires not to have drugs.
Or even if you plan on a medicated birth, a labor doula can help assure you that everything you are experiencing is normal and reassure your partner that he can help, coach him on how to help, and she can also care for him too (because dad's need to keep up their energy just as much as moms!)
* * *
For more information please visit: www.embracedoulacare.com
Or to find a doula near you visit: DONA International
I think next time I'd still do hospital but I'd like to go with a doula/midwife. Sounds like you had a great experience. :) So glad it went well!
ReplyDelete