While starring at a yummy casserole recipe that I so badly wanted to make, I was disappointed by the sodium loadedness of all the ingredients. And I considered what I could do to make this casserole less sodium laden...I started with the 'filler' the 'cream of soup'. I decided to make my own and see how it would work. Not only was it easy but it is just plain good!
Cream of Celery Soup

Ingredients:
2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 chopped onions
2 tbsp margarine
3 TBSP flour
pepper to taste
3 cups milk
Directions: In a large stock pot put in first amount of milk, onions, celery and margarine. Bring to a boil and simmer until onion is tender.
Mix flour and pepper with 1 cup of the second amount of milk until no lumps remain. Stir into simmering celery soup mix & let boil & thicken.
Stir in remaining milk & heat & serve!
* * *
Notes: The milk thing is confusing. Pay attention if you're like me & a little on the less than brilliant side. If you are planning to use this as a 'cream of' in a casserole, DO NOT add the last 2 cups of milk at the end, otherwise it will be too thinned out.
Whys & Whats: So a lot of casseroles call for a 'cream of soup' - well this makes a great substitute thanks to its lack of salt, fat & preservatives.
Our Assessment: Though I originally just made this to go as the 'cream of' in a casserole, this is a great soup too!...and now I'm hungry again.
Cream of Celery Soup

Ingredients:
2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 chopped onions
2 tbsp margarine
3 TBSP flour
pepper to taste
3 cups milk
Directions: In a large stock pot put in first amount of milk, onions, celery and margarine. Bring to a boil and simmer until onion is tender.
Mix flour and pepper with 1 cup of the second amount of milk until no lumps remain. Stir into simmering celery soup mix & let boil & thicken.
Stir in remaining milk & heat & serve!
* * *
Notes: The milk thing is confusing. Pay attention if you're like me & a little on the less than brilliant side. If you are planning to use this as a 'cream of' in a casserole, DO NOT add the last 2 cups of milk at the end, otherwise it will be too thinned out.
Whys & Whats: So a lot of casseroles call for a 'cream of soup' - well this makes a great substitute thanks to its lack of salt, fat & preservatives.
Our Assessment: Though I originally just made this to go as the 'cream of' in a casserole, this is a great soup too!...and now I'm hungry again.
No comments:
Post a Comment